Friday, July 17, 2009

Those magic moments

Here is another wonderful memory that I don't want to forget:

On our first morning in Munich, I woke up and decided to shower.

That isn't the wonderful memory, I find myself waking up and deciding to shower on a daily basis. This wouldn't even be my first shower in Munich, I am pretty sure that happened at a hostel in 1997.

Our hotel room had a sink and a shower. There was a communal toilet down the hall. I got in the shower and realized that the bracket to attach the hand-held shower head to the wall was broken. Dang it. Deb and Allen got the room with windows facing a quiet courtyard AND a shower that worked. I must be their favorite daughter-in-law for letting them pick that room. I figured out a way to prop the shower head on the faucet (at waist height). Then I could kneel under it to wash my hair. The water pressure was minimal and I couldn't get the water temp much higher than lukewarm. This turned out to be the better of my two showers in Munich.

The next morning I woke up, went down the hall to pee, (new deutsch vocab word: pinkeln), came back and got in the shower. I was able to make the water comfortably hot. My beloved husband decided that he need to shave NOW in the sink. That was fine, I can deal with even less water pressure. So he lathered up. Then he turned on the sink faucet. The shower water turned ice cold. Scheiße! Das ist nicht cool! I grabbed the shower head so I could aim it away from me. Todd, using his German ingenuity, devised a warning system, where he would say, "Okay now" and I would turn the shower head away while he turned on and off the faucet to rinse his razor. That gave me several relaxing 42 second intervals to finish my shower. Ahhhhh.

Maybe we should have gone to the Black Forest to visit the baths of Baden-Baden.

Somewhere, in that great big world, . . . is a shower that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment