Our first touring item was San Domenico Church. The church was la
rge and sparse. S
o large that I only have a picture of part of it, this one is courtesy of TripAdvisor. Instead of frescoes, there were framed paintings on the walls. Thanks, Flickr person, for illegally taking an inside photo. St. Catherine of Siena's head and finger were on display. We visited the gift shop.Next on the agenda was the Sanctuary of St. Catherine, the convent where she lived and h
We marched onward and upward to Il Campo, the main town square. Unlike other towns that had a town center near a church, this was surrounding city hall. The opposing arc is filled with restaurants. In August the square is packed with people while horses race around the outer ring. In April the square is filed with cigarette butts and people sunning. It was that time again, when we had to decide on a restaurant. We had an hour or more before they opened, so Todd and I trudged uphill to the Duomo.It was another zebra church, dark green and white striped with carvings and
Deb and Allen had disobeyed our orders to choose a restaurant. Instead, they were chatting away with Jim & family from New Jersey. (Not part of the New Jerseyians from Cinque Terre, or the ones at the rental car counter, or the one I sat next to on the plane. Was there an airfare special?) I picked a Rick Steves recommended cheap restaurant by our hotel. We got there and there was no sign of a restaurant, just a locked door at the address. So we climbed back up and down more hills to a place beyond Il Campo. It was a cozy little trattoria. The neighboring table had ordered a Florentine Bistecca, a 3" T-bone. I was drooling over it. How I longed for BEEF! Sadly, it cost 31 euro, so I had another Tuscan speciality, bean and bread soup. We ordered a bottle of Chianti, Terre Delle Civette, since we were in the region. The entertaining waiter filled our glasses first with a bottle he wanted to finish off, then left us a full bottle as well. I have no recollection of the rest of the evening. :-) No, I recall dinner being really funny and an evening stroll back to the hotel. Todd and I sat on the hotel roof patio with another bottle of Chianti, eavesdropping on the American family chatting there.

No comments:
Post a Comment