Anyway, we
went to Munich that night and slept in a hostel. The next morning we woke up and walked and walked and walked. We could see the twin domes (looks like onions) of the Frauenkirche and kept heading for those. See photo for our "map." We toured residential Munich, stopped at a church rummage sale, then finally reached our destination. We ooohed at the Glockenspiel, aaahed at the churches, kissed mimes (it's okay! Todd and I were only in a slightly serious relationship!), bought a bottle of beer for a souvenir and left that afternoon. We didn't know what to see and had more fun that night back at the school, watching our crazy Hungarian classmates dancing.
Todd's experience of Munich was different. He got to see the roof of the Frauenkirche in its entirety. He first went in 2005 with his parents. They loved it. The churches were amazing, the Residenz (Wittlesbach family palace) was intriguing, the Viktualien Markt was lively (and he got Margot, Rick Steve's beer toting poster-lady to sign his book), the Bier Gartens were intoxicating, etc.
On this trip Todd is going to convince me that Munich is a place I should love. Some of the new things we plan on seeing include the English Gardens- a three mile long "Central Park", known for nude sunbathing (I am a little confused on exactly why we are going . . .) and Dachau, the nearby concentration camp. I would be happy to decline on that; I have been to Auschwitz. Allen is fine with skipping that too. He doesn't need to be reminded that evil exists. I guess all German school children are required to visit, so that it never again happens. And I could go on about leaders who promise "change." But this is a travel blog. We will let you know what we end up seeing.
went to Munich that night and slept in a hostel. The next morning we woke up and walked and walked and walked. We could see the twin domes (looks like onions) of the Frauenkirche and kept heading for those. See photo for our "map." We toured residential Munich, stopped at a church rummage sale, then finally reached our destination. We ooohed at the Glockenspiel, aaahed at the churches, kissed mimes (it's okay! Todd and I were only in a slightly serious relationship!), bought a bottle of beer for a souvenir and left that afternoon. We didn't know what to see and had more fun that night back at the school, watching our crazy Hungarian classmates dancing.
Todd's experience of Munich was different. He got to see the roof of the Frauenkirche in its entirety. He first went in 2005 with his parents. They loved it. The churches were amazing, the Residenz (Wittlesbach family palace) was intriguing, the Viktualien Markt was lively (and he got Margot, Rick Steve's beer toting poster-lady to sign his book), the Bier Gartens were intoxicating, etc. On this trip Todd is going to convince me that Munich is a place I should love. Some of the new things we plan on seeing include the English Gardens- a three mile long "Central Park", known for nude sunbathing (I am a little confused on exactly why we are going . . .) and Dachau, the nearby concentration camp. I would be happy to decline on that; I have been to Auschwitz. Allen is fine with skipping that too. He doesn't need to be reminded that evil exists. I guess all German school children are required to visit, so that it never again happens. And I could go on about leaders who promise "change." But this is a travel blog. We will let you know what we end up seeing.

No comments:
Post a Comment