Thursday, March 12, 2009

Salzburg: Sein oder nicht sein?

For those of you who don't read Shakespeare in German, that is "To be or not to be." We are still trying to decide about Salzburg. Everyone has been there before.

Todd and I went with the college in 1997. See the photo of the picturesque cafe in the nearby town of Mondsee, by the church where The Sound of Music wedding was filmed. Interesting tidbit about me: Mondsee was the place I first learned I cannot drink a full glass of wine and then walk. I stick to half glasses now. Salzburg was having their festival for St. Rupert, the town founder. The town center was lively with a street fair and vendors. We frolicked in Mirabell Gardens where Maria and the children frolicked. We stood at the gate to the convent. We climbed the mountain to the Hohensalzburg Fortress. We stood in front of Mozart's birth house. We bought the candy with Mozart's face on it. We walked the bridge over the Salzach. We heard an organist jammin' his heart out at a church. It was all delightful.

Todd went back with Deb and Allen in 2005. It was the place they went to immediately after landing the plane. They were so jet lagged and out of it they couldn't even focus the camera. Just kidding. They had a nice time. Deb wished she could have gone to a concert or that the boys would have let her spend 45 euro on a "Sound of Music" Tour. She would like to go back to accomplish those.

If we did keep Salzburg in the itinerary, it would be for an evening until the following afternoon. The drive from Assisi to Salzburg is 8 hours. I am not sure how much touring we would actually cram in. I wouldn't mind going again and getting better pictures. I didn't take much the first time around, when film was valuable. I wouldn't mind eating another Mozartkugel. I don't think I would go on the SoM tour for that price. Andrea really enjoyed it when she went, but I have seen all the sites excluding the gazebo-which you aren't allowed to dance in anyway. Plus I don't think we could get the boys to sing along.

What to do, what to do? I'll leave you with another photo of the main tourist shopping street, Getreidegasse (Literally translated Cereal Street).

St. Rupert, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment